Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Reading the early Wild Cards novels...

So I recently started reading the first Wild Cards novels, which are being reissued.  I started this because I have a friend with a storyline in the most recent novel.  Which I read and loved, but then realized I wanted more of the backstory hinted at...  In some ways I am glad I am doing this, in other ways...  The earlier novels are very much a product of their times.  In some ways dated, and not as coherent as the later ones.  It is also obvious that something else big is going to happen at some point, as the jokers and aces start being able to have kids somewhere along the line.  

There is sexism in the earlier books (it seems that all the women get raped/tortured/etc...  There were a couple points where I skipped ahead because I just was squicked out). And some subtle racism (kids with Afros potentially shoplifting).  And less creativity in the superheroes than I necessarily would like.  A pimp who gets his power from sex?  And hints at unexplored issues of incest, etc,  that could have been padded out to create a more interesting dynamic. But, at the same time, I have the luxury of comparing and contrasting with the later, more polished novels.    

I do think it is a good exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment